Monday, June 23, 2014

Many Examples of Selfless Service in My Life- Happy Father's Day!!!!

We had a lot of fun making this video- a dedication to our dear Fathers. I love you daddio!

While I was in India, I had plenty of time to contemplate- about the people in my life, my family, my future, and about God. I thought of my husband and family who supported my decision and helped me save up the money to be there.

I thought about my dear parents on their mission in Belize- of their devotion and sacrifice to leave their comfortable home and our family for 18 MONTHS to serve and to bring others to Christ. It is an eye opening experience and an adjustment to leave the U.S. and experience another country- especially one with so much poverty and sickness. My parents have devoted 18 months of service because of their selfless attitudes and love for God. They are working with the youth, being good neighbors, preaching of Christ, learning Spanish, and sharing their love. They are incredible examples to me, and they have been my whole life. Perhaps this is why I was able to do what I did in India- because of my parent's wonderful examples. My mom taught me what it truly meant to love because she loves everyone that she comes into contact with. She loves as the Savior does. My dad taught me what hard work really means. My dad and mom are both the most wonderful examples of SERVICE- because this is what their lives exemplify- total and complete service. When I was growing up, I learned from my parents who served neighbors, friends, and family wholeheartedly. My mom took dinner to a lady in need every single month for twenty years! My dad looked after neighbors, lent a helping hand, and visited the lonely. Twice a week for five years, they taught an addiction recovery class to those who struggled overcoming addiction. My dad taught addiction recovery class at the jail and gave hope to many. He really cared for them. Throughout my life as I learned from my parents' countless acts of service, I learned what service was all about. Now, they are on a mission, and I can only hope to love those around me as they would and to serve as they have always served.

This was taken at the Provo MTC last December. They are amazing and two of my favorite people in the world!!!!!!!!


So, this video is just a small way to say thanks- to my dad, to my mom, to my husband who stands by my side and is a great example to me, to my mother-in-law and father-in-law who serve tirelessly, to the girls who served with me in India with smiles on their faces, and to my family and friends.

I am so grateful for my incredible family and to know that God lives. I am grateful that I had the opportunity to attend BYU where I not only learned the art of nursing, but I learned the importance of loving and serving as my Savior would. Jesus Christ is our Savior and Redeemer, and he is aware of our every needs. I have seen how much God is intricately involved in our lives as I met the people of India. He loves His children all over the world. They knew and loved God deeply- even in their deepest and most painful trials. They testified that God IS their strength. This is what our life here on earth is really about.

This is a mural that we were able to create at the Rising Star campus in India. It was inspired by Janeen and based off of Elder Uchtdorf's talk (link below). I pray that as my journey in India ends and I begin real life that I can always remember what is most important.


 https://www.lds.org/general-conference/2010/04/you-are-my-hands?lang=eng

Alright and one note that I would like to end on: Service doesn't have to be a huge gesture. It doesn't need to be grand and in the open. In fact, it is usually better left unsaid, the small daily acts that make a difference in others' lives. It's being a mother and getting up each night to care for an infant, it's asking how a neighbor is doing, or stopping to help someone on the side of the road. It's sharing the gospel or telling someone that you love them. This is service, and I'm going to have to practice lots until I can say that I know anything about it :)






1 comment:

  1. I love this Andi! You are such an amazing person and an incredible example to me :) Keeping being you! I love you!

    ReplyDelete