Sunday, June 8, 2014

Highlights of the Colonies and some Pictures to Tell the Rest

Puthiran Kottai Colony

Visiting the Puthiran Kottai colony was one of the  most humbling experiences that I have had so far on this trip. This colony was somehow different from the others. They hadn't had visitors for medical attention for over a year. The sight of the colony had me choking back tears. As usual, when we got off the bus the people began to gather together and greet us. Many men and women were disfigured so much that they couldn't walk upright. One woman in particular used a very fragile wheelchair, but because we were setting up our washing stations in the field, she had to get down on her hands and knees to crawl. She had a clubbed foot and a missing foot. We began to set up our supplies, but I wondered if that would be enough for these people. I was in charge of interviews that day, so I set up the chairs just a few feet away from the washing line where everyone else was working. I interviewed two women who told me their story. All I can say is what happened during this time was incredible. Only a few minutes into my interview, I began to hear sweet voices singing hymns. I looked over and each of the girls who were washing and caring for the patient's feet were singing sweet songs about our Lord and Savior. The Spirit of God was thick in the air. A transformation had occurred. Instead of sadness, I felt  hope and I think that the people of the colony did too.
The second woman that I interviewed had a really neat story and was a wonderful example of love and devoutness to God. She had a sassy personality- she liked to hold my face in her hands, and with the help of the interpreter she told me that I dressed badly. She told me that if I wore flowers in my hair and wore a sari like her than I would look much better! I laughed so hard!! The people here always say it like it is!
But, she radiated love and gratitude to all of those who helped her. She had been disowned by her own family as a child, but her husband and children had supported her. When she took us into her home to show us some pictures, she had us each kneel down on the floor to pray with us. It was an experience that I will never forget.
This is Saradha telling me that I dress badly and offering advice for how I could look better. I should start by putting flowers in my hair and wearing a sari :)






There is too much to write about, and I know that I can't possibly describe this experience in full. It has been so fun, though, to play with the kids during play time and make some new little friends, administer immunizations, continue visiting the colonies, etc. So, some pictures should do it some justice:

Some Pictures to tell the rest:



We weren't allowed to wear shoes in the clinic- which was an odd and enjoyable experience!




Medical team on duty



Jump rope time with all of the kids- it gets pretty competitive and is a lot of fun :)

Mass delousing shampoo party. It was hilarious to put mohawks in all of the boys' hair and they loved it.


The rice fields and beautiful Julia




The men lining up to play cricket. These guys are my buddies.

Isn't she adorable!!!!!

This woman held Craig's hand for over twenty minutes. It was the sweetest thing in the world




This is a movie in the making called "Rachel the Beautiful". Rachel is obviously adored by these kids. They love doing her hair each play time. ADORABLE




We had the chance to visit the ZOO! Let's just say it is nothing like I've ever seen before hahaha







1 comment:

  1. I love this! I love how that lady was so honest haha! You better get some flowers for your hair ;)

    ReplyDelete