Monday, June 2, 2014

Here's to the Girls

The journey continues and we have been here for over a week now. It seems like two weeks- only because we have packed in so many things into our day and have been so busy! Never have I sweat like this in my entire life and it all has been so much fun despite it! It's hilarious how the Indian natives are completely used to the heat while at the same time we look pink/flushed, sweaty, and are very hot! The work is fun, but it's not always easy- not to name the hours that we spend in the bus. I just want to give a shout out to the incredible people who are with me. We have a group of 14 BYU girls, 3 coordinators with rising star, and our 2 BYU instructors- and they are all amazing


Nothing is too much for any of them to handle, and their positive attitudes keep me going with high spirits. If our bus breaks down-> we'll play games on the side of the road and make a party of it. If the air conditioning dies for the night -> we'll take it with stride and make jokes about it. No matter what the road bump is, I can always count on the group to take it with stride and laugh along the way. It's a pretty cool thing that we all get along so well, and I'm grateful that I am making lifelong friends. 

Ruins and Beach Trip

The ruins are really neat. We were able too walk around inside and go into the ancient rooms of worship.  I felt a lot like Indiana Jones ;)




 It is very common for families to ask us if we will take our picture with them. They ask very politely. The picture on the left was of the cutest little girl that they just handed to me for the picture. She observed me as if I was very strange. I also learned that there is a famous actress in India named Andrea, so I hear that a lot and I try to pretend that I am famous!




The beach was AMAZING,  and the water was exactly what I needed. It was nice to have a break and spend some time with these girls.



I know- we are pretty hot stuff. . . oh wait. . . 


Indian Women

Today, I had the opportunity to go around the village and do blood tests for anemia. It was a great chance to talk with the people and see what they do on a daily basis. It was a good thing we had an interpreter or that mission wouldn't have been so successful. (Although some of them did know some English). As I walked through their various homes, I was really impressed with how they make such simple things so beautiful. The walls are often painted with pictures on them, they usually have cement floors, but they dress it up with rugs or fabric when possible. They themselves always look like a million bucks. I love that about their culture that they have such fun traditions and wear such bright colors. Although this picture doesn't show it- I am in a room with about ten women as they are embroidering material to make purses. They are incredibly talented and make beautiful work without many tools. 
These women are beautiful, talented, and have the funniest sense of humor!
In the following pictures, they women are laughing with us as we try to balance the bags on our heads as they do- it's not as easy as it looks!!!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment