Monday, May 26, 2014

Church in India and first LEPROSY COLONY

Yesterday, I got to go to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints in Chennia India. It was a beautiful experience, and my testimony of Jesus Christ was strengthened. The people are beautiful and have strong testimonies of the gospel. It was stake conference, so I got to hear from a variety of natives as well as the mission president and his wife. One specific woman really touched me with her testimony of Jesus Christ as she spoke of how she was converted to the gospel. She told how she was "not a happy child", but now she is. She was released as relief society president and is now called as stake relief society president. She was genuine and beautiful. I learned so much from her. Although many of these people live such different lives, they are grateful for the gospel and everything that they have.




Today was our first day out in the colony! We all got dressed in the traditional Indian clothes and set out for the 2 hour drive. Hot doesn't even begin to describe the weather. It is more like boiling, and I begin to feel drops of sweat on my forehead just minutes after stepping out of my room. However, as I worked, I completely forgot how hot I was. Although, when I finally took my gloves off my fingers were dripping with sweat and when I got home I took my first bucket shower which actually felt pretty amazing (just in case you all wanted to know:)
We set up a medical clinic in the leprosy colony and were each assigned to a station. I was assigned to debride and then re-wrap the wounds/ulcers. It was the most fulfilling job that I have done. The people are sweet and grateful. They are tough and they smile through it all. They often would say "very very thank you" after I was done. I learned to ask them what their name was and greeted them by saying "Vanakaam". It was truly a joyful experience and made all of the heat completely worth it. I can't even imagine how much God loves these people, but I felt just a little bit of his love for them as I worked with them. What a blessing it is to be with these people in India. I am looking forward to an incredible month!












So far we have seen a monkey and lots of dogs, cows, chickens, and goats.


All of their buildings, churches and homes are such fun colors



The barber shop. The barber is a man who is affected with leprosy. I helped him today, and he had to have been one of the most happy people that I have EVER met in my life. He was so amazing, and I couldn't help but to love being in his presence. He had a light that just radiated. He is grateful to have his small barber shop there in the colony. 


This lady was once affected with leprosy, and now she is cured! She received a micro-grant through rising star to begin her snackshop business. She was so so kind and very grateful. She also had a beautiful little girl. 

More beautiful children. The oldest's name is Rose, and she will begin school at rising star with us next week.



1 comment:

  1. Oh my goodness I have tears in my eyes I am so jealous! I know it is crazy hot but enjoy it because you will miss it when you go home. Keep an eye out for Musa, he's my little buddy!

    ReplyDelete